Wednesday 19 December 2012

Waste Not Want Not - How to Fix a Tired Jumper

It's an old saying, but true! I have just 'saved' my husband's work jumper from the bin and avoided the need to buy a new one. It was looking a little tired - some of the stitching on the collar was coming away and there was a (growing) hole in the armpit, but with a little blue thread, a needle and about ten minutes of my time it's looking good as new. 























For the collar area, I anchored my thread on the inside and simply put a loop through the little bit that was rolling upwards on the front and secured it in place.I then used a backstitch just to sew a line along the bottom so it matched better.



For the hole, I closed the small holes with a basic stitch which looped around the stringy bit in the middle. Once I just had one larger hole, I just pressed the two sides of the hole together and looped stitches along the length of the hole, joining the two sides together on the inside of the jumper. There was no magic to my stitching (and it's certainly nothing professional!) but with the right colour thread it's not noticeable and now the jumper is good for at least another few months.



No comments:

Post a Comment