Sunday 9 December 2012

Vegetable Chow Mein (7pp)

I have a fairly 'pointy' dinner planned for tonight, with no points left over for snacks at any point throughout the day as a result. I decided that I therefore needed to use the 6pp I have available for lunch to create the most filling meal possible. The result is a vegetable Chow Mein concoction. This works out at just 7pp for a large portion (if you used dried egg noodle nests, instead of the fresh variety it could be just 6pp). This is also super quick, which is a bonus!



Ingredients (Serves Two)

1 Bag Fresh Egg Noodles (the bag from my local supermarket is 410g but point yours accordingly - 205g is 6pp)
1 tin Chinese vegetables ie, beansprouts, baby corn, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts (I have checked and water chestnuts are 0pp)
1 onion
Soy Sauce
Boiling Water
2 teaspoons gravy granules (kinda weird I know, but it works! - this is 1pp)
Half Teaspoon minced ginger (I used mine from frozen for convenience)
1 Teaspoon minced garlic (again, I have ready chopped frozen garlic - perfect for a quick lunch)
Half a teaspoon of chilli powder
Calorie controlled cooking spray

Method
1. Heat a Wok or large frying pan to a medium heat and spritz with calorie controlled cooking spray
2. Add the ginger and garlic and soften
3. Slice the onion (I do this in half vertically, then into thin wedges so the pieces are kinda chunky) and add to the pan to soften
4. Turn the heat up to high and add the beansprouts and other vegetables with a large splash of soy sauce. I usually add just a little boiling water as well, so that the steam helps the vegetables cook and prevents the need for oil to stop them burning
5. Add the noodles to the pan and continue to stir fry until they are warmed through.
6. Reduce the heat just so that the noodles and vegetables keep warm whilst you make the 'chow mein sauce'.
6. Dissolve the gravy granules in 100ml water, add 3 teaspoons of soy sauce and the chilli powder and combine.
7. Pour the sauce over the noodles and stir to coat them before serving!



A massive portion of food which will keep you going until dinner. The gravy sauce is the closest I've ever come to real chinese takeaway... to me it's closer even than packets of sauces which are a bit too gloopy.

No comments:

Post a Comment