Monday 17 December 2012

Epcot Food and Wine Festival Review - South Korea

My eat around the world adventure at the Epcot Food and Wine Festival took me to South Korea next. The  stand was just before the bridge between China and the Outpost.

On offer were Mung Bean Pancake with Shrimp and Kimchi Sauce or Lettuce Wrap with Roast Pork and Kimchi Slaw.

I opted for the Lettuce Wrap with Roast Pork (I had no idea what kimchi was) as I had already tried a shrimp dish and variety is the spice of life, so they say!


Now this dish was particularly good value at only $3.25.

The pork had obviously been cooked for a very long time, it was moist and soft and had a stringy feel to it (which sounds bad, although it wasn't a bad thing - just the best description I can think of!).

I still have no idea what kimchi is - it didn't have a particularly strong flavour (and from the picture, just looks like shredded carrot!). Wikipedia seems to say it is different all over Korea and can even differ depending on the season, so not much help there.

Review: What I will say about this dish is that it would have benefited from something pourous! The lettuce just could not cope with the amount of liquid in the pork/kimchi mix and there rather a lot of 'run off', making it a messy one to eat. The overall texture was soft meat with crisp salad and some creamy mayonnaise style topping and the taste was mild. Although I enjoyed eating it, it didn't excite me and I don't think I'd buy it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment