Tuesday 1 January 2013

New Years Resolutions - Tips for new Weight Watchers

I am starting weight watchers again. I say starting again because I have been a bit rubbish for the past few weeks with Christmas etc so I'm going back to basics. I'm guessing there will be some new starters and some returning weight watchers like me so I thought I'd share some things that have been helpful to me in the past.

1. Empty your cupboards (and the fridge/freezer... Hiding places?) of all the food you won't want around to tempt you as you start tracking. I know we're all taught not to waste food, but honestly putting more weight on or making yourself miserable because you know it's there and you can't have it is worse. The first time I did this two years ago I filled a bin liner. This week it will be limited to half a packet of cookies!

2. Buy some digital kitchen scales. They don't have to be official weight watchers ones, but you do need to weigh everything you eat. I bet what you think is 30g of healthy cereal is actually more. You might eat very healthily but just be eating more than you thought - try pouring a bowl of cereal and weighing it.. Guessing is not an option!

3. Plan and shop for at least your first week. If you're going back to basics or just getting started out and working your way through the plan it can take longer to sort an evening meal out than normal... Coming home one night and having nothing in the fridge or planned for dinner is a 1 way ticket to "I can't be bothered to cook, let's just get take away". Yes, it will take a long time the first time you do this but I promise it gets easier and as you get used to the plan and the pp of your favourite foods/meals.

4. Don't take too much on. It's probably unrealistic to say you'll start weight watchers and join the gym (going three nights a week of course) and start a new skin care regime etc etc all atone. You're not a superhero - I know it's new year and the temptation is to use this one chance to sort everything out, but if you try to take too much on it will be much more difficult and you're more likely to fail. Sort out your eating first, just concentrate on tracking and pointing for a month or so. Then add in some extra exercise when you're on top of everything - it'll be much easier to stick to if you only have one challenge at a time!

5. Don't stress out. We're human - we eat cake, we stay the same weight one week, gain a bit the next and lose weight another week. As long as the overall trend is down, don't beat yourself up and don't put too much pressure on yourself to lose weight too quickly... It'll happen if you just stick at it.

6. Last but not least, be honest to yourself. If you had a chip or two off your OH's plate, it's fine AS LONG AS YOU TRACK IT. Earn an activity point if it took you over, but don't just pretend it didn't exist!

Now to practice what I preach... Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment