Wednesday 9 January 2013

How to Make Butternut Squash Chips (BNS Chips) - 0pp

Butternut Squash (commonly abbreviated to BNS in the weight watchers community) is a firm type of squash which has 0pp. I remember first joining weight watchers and having to google "what is BNS".. I also had no idea what to do with them!

Some members use 0pp soups to keep them full and satisfied when their dailies and weeklies have run out. Others, like me, use BNS chips! You can also make some lovely creamy feeling soups out of them, but that's for another day.


Now, don't be fooled.. they don't actually taste like chips. Even the texture is slightly off. But once you've had them a few times you might learn to love them; I cover mine in vinegar and salt to trick my brain though! I tend to do them as a snack where no amount of water will fill me up and I feel like I've eaten enough fruit, where I fancy something savoury or as a nice accompaniment to a ready meal on the odd occasion I have one. 

Ingredients

Butternut Squash
Calorie Controlled Cooking Spray
Salt and Vinegar

Preheat the oven to 200ÂșC

Method

1. Peel your BNS. I tend to use half at a time - in these pictures I used the 'neck' end and you get more chip-like chips. If you're using the bulbous end, you need to scoop out the middle including the seeds and pith as well as peeling the squash. This will make wedge style chips. 

2. Cut your peeled squash into the desired size and shape. I mimic the size of thick cut oven chips. Lay these out onto a baking tray which has been lightly spritzed with calorie controlled cooking spray. You need to have space between each chip for them to cook properly. 


3. Place them in a preheated oven for around 40 minutes or until they start to catch. I like a bit of blackness around the edges of mine. They won't go crispy or crunchy but will retain their shape even when soft and cooked. 



4. To serve, simply top with salt and vinegar


No comments:

Post a Comment