Monday 14 January 2013

Moussaka Style Turkey - 14pp

My auntie had a part after Christmas with a wonderful moussaka. I don't like lamb so I was a little cautious, however, when I asked her she said that she had made it with turkey mince as it was lower in fat! It was absolutely delicious and I'm not sure I've done justice to her recipe by making it a weight watchers style recipe (real moussaka seems to have lots of cheese and white sauce and oil!) but my version was still pretty good. My recipe works out at 14pp per portion. 


Ingredients (Makes 2 individual moussakas)

250g minced turkey
500g potatoes
80g 50% reduced fat grated cheese
1/2 carton tomato passata
20g I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light (or other very low fat spread)
1 tablespoon plain flour
1 chicken stock cube
6 mushrooms
1 large onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 aubergine
1 teaspoon cinnamon (I would start with half a teaspoon and add more if you think it's needed - mine was a bit old and not as strong in flavour as new cinnamon!!)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and Pepper

(You'll have to excuse my photo - I used up a leek and could only get a few baby aubergines - I thought I'd substitute a courgette, but didn't actually need it!)

Weight Watchers Notes: Pro points per serving are as follows: 125g turkey mince - 4pp, 250g potatoes - 5pp, 40g 50% fat cheese - 3pp, 10g low fat 'butter' - 1pp, halfa tablespoon of flour - 1pp; totals 14pp

Method

1. Thickly slice your potatoes and boil them in salted water until they are cooked but still firm. Once cooked, drain.

2. Thickly slice your aubergine and soften in a pan or on a griddle. You can do this with heat alone and without oil - just keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn; heat both sides. Set the softened slices to one side.

3. Make your 'moussaka filling' next. Roughly chop the onion and mushrooms and soften with the finely chopped garlic. Once soft, add the turkey mince and cook thoroughly. Once the meat is cooked through, add the passata, cinnamon and oregano. Season to taste. Set the mixture to one side.

4. Next up is the "white sauce". This is in brackets because I made mine without milk in order to try and keep the pp down. If you have a few spare points I would suggest using milk instead of stock as it was a little salty.

Gently melt the butter in a small pan, stir in the flour to form a paste. Keep stirring for a little while to cook the flour through and then gradually add the liquid (either the stock made up with hot water (190ml) or milk), stirring all the way. After each little bit of liquid is added allow it to thicken before adding more.

5. Now it's time to make up our individual moussaka. You could, of course, make a large one and serve it on plates - I just wanted to save on washing up and I served them in the oven dishes!!

First spread a thin layer of the tomato mix on the bottom of the oven dish. Top with a layer of potatoes, followed by a layer of aubergine slices. Next pour around half the 'white sauce' over the aubergine. Add a second layer of meat/tomato mix, the remainder of the 'white sauce' and the grated cheese.

6. Bake in the oven for around 20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment