Tuesday 27 November 2012

Turkey Breast Nacho Recipe (WW friendly)

This is my new favourite dinner - the recipe has a few parts to it which I will set out separately. I have used turkey breast instead of chicken purely because it was cheaper at the supermarket. I point my recipe at 14pp per serving.

Ingredients (Serves 2)

240g Turkey Breast Steak, sliced
4 Corn Tortillas
1 Onion, thinly sliced
1 Flat Mushroom, sliced
1 Red Pepper, thinly sliced
1 Celery Stick, thinly sliced
2 Tomatoes
Fresh Coriander, small bunch, chopped finely
2 tablespoons Tomato Puree
60g Reduced Fat grated cheese (50% less fat)
Romaine Lettuce (4 large leaves)
Lemon Juice
Worcestershire Sauce
30g Mexican Spice Mix (see this post for my recipe)
Low Calorie Cooking Spray
2 Tablespoons Extra Light Cream Cheese

Preheat the oven to 200°C

Weight Watchers Notes - I have used Old El Paso Tortillas, you'll need to calculate the points if you use a different brand. I would also check your cheese as low fat cheeses can vary from 30% less fat to 50% less fat. My points are: 120g Turkey (3pp), Tortillas (7pp), 15g Spice Mix (1pp), Grated Cheese (2pp), Cream Cheese (1pp)

The Salsa

This is the most basic salsa recipe. If I had half a small red onion I would also dice it extremely finely and add that too.

Chop 1 tomato into cubes and combine in a bowl with the finely chopped coriander, a dash of Worcestershire Sauce, a dash of lemon juice and a tiny sprinkle of Mexican Spice Mix.

See... Easy!








The Nacho Topping

On a medium heat, soften the onion, red pepper, celery and the other tomato (chopped) with the mushroom in a large pan, using cooking spray. Keep the lid on to keep some moisture in. If it starts to burn or stick, add a little hot water (rather than oil). This steps takes around 10 minutes

When the vegetables are soft, add the sliced turkey and cook through. Sprinkle the Mexican Spice Mix over the mixture then add the tomato puree with some water (2-3 tablespoons) just to ensure it doesn't burn and reduce the heat to simmer. Cook for a further 5-10 minutes to cook the tomato puree through. Keep the lid on and stir occasionally to prevent it sticking.





The Nachos

You may have noticed that my 'Nacho Recipe' doesn't actually include Nachos in the ingredients list. This is because I had some corn tortillas in the freezer and I didn't fancy enchiladas so I decided to make my own nachos.

The first step is to cut the tortillas into triangles (see picture).

Arrange the nachos on an ungreased baking sheet and spritz lightly with your cooking spray. Put them in the preheated oven.

When they are starting to go brown (mine took about 7 minutes, I'd check on them after 5 though) remove them from the oven and allow them to cool slightly (they are good to eat warm).

Assembling the Plate

Shred the lettuce and add this to the plate along with the nachos and the nacho topping. Add salsa, grated cheese, the warm nachos and finish with a tablespoon of extra light cream cheese.



No comments:

Post a Comment